Certified Recovery Support Specialist
The Certified Recovery Support Specialist (CRSS) shall provide recovery-oriented, person-centered,
and trauma-informed services; serve as an advocate; provide information and support for individuals in an emergency, outpatient and walk-in settings. The CRSS shall perform a wide range of tasks to assist individuals (receiving services) in the recovery process and to reclaim their lives from mental illness. The CRSS will possess the skills to maintain a high level of professionalism, ethics, and positive interactions. In addition, the CRSS will help to increase wellness and recovery education and stigma reduction through the state of Illinois, in targeted communities, and at HRC. The CRSS will when applicable promote or educate on the components of Wellness and Recovery Action Planning (WRAP), Whole Health Action Management (WHAM), Mental Health First Aid (MHFA), and help to increase Online Recovery Academy and CRSS Library (ORACL) activity. The CRSS will complete other duties as assigned as related to recovery support services and other state and federal grant deliverables.
• Willingness to self-disclose personal experience as a consumer of mental health services and/or dual
• Participate in statewide events/summits/trainings/activities that support the
education/development/promotion of WHAM, WRAP, MHFA, and Recovery Support and Consumer
• Commitment and ability to practice within the domains and ethics of the CRSS (certified recovery
• Communicate with members of the outpatient team when appropriate and needed for appropriate
• Support for choice by the persons receiving services (individuals)
• Educate individuals on wellness and recovery supports
• Educate individuals on how to make treatment work for them and their choices in the recovery
• Advocate for individuals using professionalism and non-adversarial approaches
• Be aware of and take appropriate action with high-risk indicators/suicidal and homicidal ideations.
• Willingness, ability, and commitment to serving as a role model for Recovery.
• Travel required
• Facilitate group and individual sessions
• Avoid dual relationships when possible and appropriate for the best interest of the individuals
• Utilize Relias learning when applicable and for annual training
• Comply with rule 132, collaborative and CARF documentation
• Awareness of Recovery planning needs and development.
• Lived experience as a consumer of mental health or substance abuse services
• GED or higher education.
• Public speaking and communication skills
• Experience either as a consumer of or facilitator of groups
• Ability to utilize e computer for service documentation.
• Teaching skills, non-judgmental personality, and empathic listening skills.
• Valid driver license / current automobile liability insurance including uninsured motorist coverage.
• Current CRSS or desire to pursue CRSS state certification.
• WRAP Certification or Desire to pursue WRAP Certificate
• Ability to pass pre-employment background checks.
Call for Help, Inc. helps people overcome a variety of personal crises, ranging from sexual assault and poverty to homelessness and mental illness. We change lives by giving people skills and support that empower them to overcome an emotional and physical crisis.
To learn more about this position and other positions that we have available, please visit our website at www.callforhelpinc.org.